Tax Compliance Issues: Independent Contractor or Employee?
November 1, 2017
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Independent Contractor/Consultant and part-time employee can sound like they refer to the same thing: getting the job done - but in fact they both have a distinct difference that can't be interchanged. Knowing the difference between the two and when an independent contractor/consultant should be an employee, is the key to protecting your tribe from IRS tax penalties.
This webinar will help your tribe successfully prepare for the year-end:
- Review of new Department of Labor guidelines on independent contractor agreements
- Discussion on factors used to evaluate "right to control" and applying the "economic realities" test
- Examination of lease agreements
- Identifying other types of payments requiring a Form 1099
- Guidance on maintaining records to prove due diligence was exercised
- Advice on adjusting the tribe’s relationship with independent contractors who cannot be converted to full employees
- Differences in social security and withholding rules for tribal council members, board members, and election committees
Corrine Wilson, CPA, Principal and Tal Moore, THRP, Principal, Organizational Development & HR Consulting Practice Leader of REDW