Policy Alert: COVID-19 Relief May Be Coming Soon, Tribal Town Hall to Follow
December 9, 2020
A bipartisan group of lawmakers has released a summary of provisions to be used as the basis for a new $908 billion COVID-19 relief package. Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) led the effort to include Indian Country in a number of relief measures.
Many of the bipartisan recommendations are expected to be carried by both the House and the Senate and the summary represents an agreement in principle for good-faith negotiations moving forward. Congress will likely attach the relief bill to the spending bill they must pass before leaving for holiday recess at the end of next week.
National Tribal Leader Town Hall Coming Soon
NAFOA, along with other national organizations will be hosting a National Tribal Leader Town Hall via Zoom when the details are available and it appears Congress will take up the bipartisan recommendations. Keep an eye on your inbox for this notice if you would like to attend.
Highlights from the draft summary can be found below.
Highlights From the Draft Summary:
Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF)
- $160 billion for state, local, and tribal governments
- Strong possibility for an extension for the use of existing CRF funds
Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
- $300 billion to Small Business Administration for the program overall
- Hardest hit businesses will be allowed to receive a second forgivable loan
- $1 billion out of a $35 billion Provider Relief Fund for tribes, tribal organizations, urban Indian health organizations, and health service providers to tribes
- $3.42 billion for direct grants for states, local territories and tribes for vaccine development and distribution
- $129 million for tribes, tribal organizations, urban Indian health organizations, or health service providers to tribes for CDC vaccine distribution and infrastructure
- $350 million in grants for tribes, tribal organizations, urban Indian health organizations, or health service providers to tribes for COVID-19 testing and tracing
Housing Rental Assistance
- $25 billion in rental assistance to states and local governments and Native American tribes through the Coronavirus Relief Fund
Additional support will include: increased unemployment assistance, transportation funding, education funding, targeted funding to CDFIs and MDIs, agricultural assistance, broadband, and more. Please see the summary for more details and information. NAFOA will continue to advocate for maximum Indian Country inclusion within any COVID-19 relief effort and welcomes input from tribal governments and stakeholders.
For any other questions or concerns, please contact Dante Desiderio at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 631-2003.
- Bipartisan Summary of Provisions
- Treasury Coronavirus Relief Fund website
- Paycheck Protection Program