Webinar: Tax Compliance Issues - Independent Contractor or Employee?
October 20, 2017
W-2s vs. 1099s
NAFOA will host a webinar with REDW on Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. EDT to help protect your tribe from potential IRS payroll audits.
Independent Contractor and part-time employee can sound like they refer to the same thing - getting the job done - but in fact they both have a distinct difference that can't be interchanged. Knowing the difference between the two and when an independent contractor should be an employee, is the key to protecting your tribe from IRS tax penalties.
You will learn:
- What classifications of workers are permitted under the IRS Rules
- What the common law rule is and how it’s used to determine worker status
- Advice on adjusting the tribe’s relationship with independent contractors who cannot be converted to full employees
- How easily a 1099 audit can be triggered and why the chances of getting one are on the rise
- Differences in social security and withholding rules for tribal council members, board members, and election committees
> External Link