Posted 26 days ago
Position Summary: Direct the accounting and control functions, report on the results of operations, and provide chronological systems. Supervise and coordinate the activities of the accounting and operations staff.
- Develop and implement accounting policies, coordinate systems and procedures, and prepare operating data and special reports, as required, including interim and year-end financial statements. Maintain the Band’s system of accounts and keep books and records on all Band transactions and assets. This includes month-end close and related activities.
- Establish, coordinate, and administer, as an integral part of management, an adequate control of operations including, profit planning, programs for capital investing and financing, sales forecasts, expense budgets and cost standards, together with necessary controls and procedures to effectuate the plan.
- Compare performance with operating plans and standards, and report and interpret the results of the operation to all levels of management.
- Provide for the control and editing of all Band policies and procedures to ensure conformity, and to facilitate data control and retrieval of records generated by the policies and procedures.
- Establish and administer tax policies and procedures.
- Ensure protection for the assets of the business through internal controls and auditing, and appropriate insurance coverage.
- Maximizes return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits and providing information to external auditors.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions.
- Assists in budget preparation, including establishing schedules, collecting, analyzing, consolidating financial data, and recommending plans.
- Serve as a liaison between the Band and legal counsel or outside accountant support.
- Provide input to the Director of Accounting and the Government Manager on financial matters of the Band.
- Provide the overall direction, coordination, evaluation, coaching, and development of staff. This includes interviewing, hiring, orienting, and training employees; providing timely feedback, appraising performance, and providing professional development opportunities; and rewarding and disciplining employees. Proactively address and resolve staff concerns and explore and implement methods and procedures for improving departmental workflow and service to Tribal Citizens.
- Assist Director of Accounting with interviewing, hiring, orienting, and training employees as well as planning, assigning, and directing work.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or other related field from an accredited institution whose program of study has been recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or the United States Department of Education
· Six (6) years of progressive accounting experience required; or three (3) years of progressive accounting experience and Master’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited institute. Prefer candidate who has experience in a Controller role.
· Four (4) years supervisory experience required.
· Five (5) years of Financial Application Management experience required.
· Experience in federal and state tax compliance preferred.
· Governmental financial knowledge of population of 2000 or greater.
· In-depth knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted account principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) including Fund Accounting