Director of Analytics
Posted 25 days ago
Reporting to the Vice President of Analytics and Insights, the Director of Analytics is responsible for end-to-end planning, creation, execution and reporting of all data and analytics as it pertains to key initiatives for the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians’ (SMBMI) projects and entities. A champion of analytics and data-driven decision-making, the Director of Analytics brings about analytical, business intelligence and data solutions to the organization ushering in a more data drive culture.
This is an influential position within the organization that helps drive strategies, impact, profits and opportunity. The Director of Analytics works closely with a variety of external and internal partners like Strategic and Brand Marketing, Direct Investments, Strategic Philanthropy, Procurement and Finance to accomplish our shared goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Quantifies the impact of opportunities or expenditures consolidating a wide-range of gaming and operating projections for the development of short-term and long-term business plans.
- Leads and mentors a team of analysts and data specialists to create a model of optimal data accessibility, governance and use across the enterprise as well as actionable analyses and business intelligence solutions from that data.
- Communicates all findings, ideas, risks and recommendations into actionable items, reports, visualizations and presentations to senior leadership.
- Uses current data sources of primary, third party and zero-data as well as ingenuity to create new Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and metrics that are key to tribal objectives.
- Retrieves, compiles, models and analyzes vast, complex gaming, financial, geo-spatial and census data to identify significant trends. Creates complex models to extract data; uses multiple databases to acquire statistical and financial information.
- Champions automation of self-service analytics and supports a data driven culture.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics, Marketing or related field is required. MBA or Master's degree in a related field is desired.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience working in analytics or similar role summarizing and interpreting data is required.
- Minimum of four (4) years in a leadership role, directing and coaching others.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience modeling quantitative data, SAS or SQL programming knowledge is preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience with data visualization and reporting tools like Tableau, Cognos or Power BI is preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of casino experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems, think creatively, strategically and analytically.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills; strong client interface and presentation skills are mandatory.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research and the ability to synthesize and analyze data in order to draw conclusions and identify trends.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, quickly and independently.
- Ability to understand complex business processes and the inter-relatedness of data across an organization.
- Extremely organized, sharp attention to detail, strong work ethic, expansive learner.
- Primary office located in San Bernardino County, but potential geographic / scheduling flexibility can be discussed.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.