Director of Human Resources
Posted 7 days ago
Organization: The American Indian College Fund is a national Native-led, Native-serving non-profit organization headquartered in Denver, CO. The Director of Human Resources supports a team of over 70 employees working in a hybrid work environment with some employees located in other states while the majority live in the Denver Metro area. From 2019-2021, the College Fund was voted a Denver Top Workplace by its employees. The College Fund leadership and Board of Trustees highly value developing and maintaining an excellent work environment for its team. The Human Resources Director is an important member of College Fund leadership and has the opportunity for professional growth and development aligned with the College Fund’s mission and purposes.
The American Indian College Fund (College Fund) positively impacts the lives of American Indians and Alaska Natives by supporting their higher education and career objectives. College Fund team members believe education is the answer and collectively we raise funds, provide scholarships, and holistically support students in achieving their goals. Programming, research, and enhancing the capacities of Tribal Colleges and Universities are also integral elements of our mission.
The Director (Director) of Human Resources is responsible for providing guidance and oversight of the College Fund’s effective use of people and their talents to achieve our mission. In this role, the Senior Director plans, designs, implements, and evaluates all initiatives that support effective performance by College Fund team members. The Director supports the development and maintenance of an organizational culture rooted in Indigenous values and the guiding principles of the College Fund. The Director ensures that the College Fund continues its practices of high levels of employee engagement and strives to ensure high employee satisfaction. The position develops human resource and talent management practices and objectives that provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture emphasizing empowerment, quality and productivity standards, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a high-quality workforce. The Director provides leadership and guidance to the College Fund by overseeing program and policy development, legal compliance, talent acquisition, career development, employee engagement, retention, training and development, classifications, compensation and benefits, and employee relations.
This position reports to the President and CEO and directs HR practices across the organization. This position maintains the highest levels of integrity and confidentiality, as they are charged with the protection of sensitive organizational and employee information, and they will act with some independence to ensure fairness and objectivity for all employees while exemplifying and supporting the College Fund’s vision, mission, guiding principles, and organizational culture.
Essential Job Functions
Employee Retention, Professional Development, and Training
- Provide leadership training and coaching to support and enhance supervisor and employee relations.
- Develop and support appropriate training/professional development plans to enhance performance and support employee growth.
- Analyze and report on the effectiveness of professional development meeting the organizational objectives.
- Lead the employee evaluation process.
- Ensure meaningful recognition programs are implemented which includes employee engagement.
Talent Acquisition: Recruitment, Selection and Orientation
- Lead recruiting and coach hiring supervisors during selection process.
- Manage job offer process.
- Lead orientation process to ensure new team members have information and tools they need and are appropriately supported.
General Employee and Compliance Management
Communicate and ensure adherence to applicable employment laws and regulations.
Provide oversight and ensure accurate and timely delivery of the payroll function.
Maintain human resource records.
Ensure appropriate personnel policies and procedures for the organization.
- Support organizational structure design and change management.
Maintain relationship with employment legal counsel.
Lead the implementation of the employee surveys ensuring the analysis and recommendations to leadership, particularly the annual survey of employee well-being but also other surveys as may be necessary for human resource and organizational decisions.
Support, manage, and when necessary, lead the selection of benefits providers.
Support employee management related to short and long-term disability, Worker’s Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, health/dental/eye insurance, education benefits, and FMLA.
Lead the development and maintenance of employee classification structure, job titles, job descriptions, market surveys, and salary paygrades.
Hire and supervise human resources department personnel.
This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this position. Incumbent may perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of current employment laws and regulations
- Working knowledge of human resource practices, policies and procedures, employee relations, talent acquisition, compensation, and benefits
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proven success in employee development
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Flexible critical thinker with strong creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to be discreet and maintain strict confidentiality
Education / Experience / Certification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five to seven years of Human Resources leadership experience (as a manager or director)
- SHRM or other HR certification
- Master’s Degree
- Not-for-Profit experience
- Experience with organizations of 25-100 employees
- Knowledge of American Indian culture and communities and/or experience in working with American Indians
- Knowledge of the DiSC employee assessment system
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com