Safety Specialist, Risk Management
Posted 8 days ago
The Safety & Loss Control Program requires a dedicated, professional Safety Specialist coordinating and administrating the program activities. Reporting to the Safety Engineer, the Safety Specialist upholds the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Safety Program and assures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations relating to health and safety.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops safety education programs for employees. Develops safety training topics and assists departments’ with necessary training materials and handouts for monthly safety meetings. Conducts on-the-job training for safety awareness and compliance including new employee safety orientation, Hazardous Communication, Defensive Driving, Emergency Action and Evacuation Plan, Fire Extinguisher use, and other applicable programs
- Implements company safety policies within SMBMI procedures and guidelines. Responds to health and safety questions, concerns and inquiries. Identify, evaluate, prevent, and control health and safety hazards. Collects, reviews, investigates, and works with responsible department(s) in resolving Hazardous Condition Reports, as well as all other health and safety hazards. Creates and distributes safety bulletins, charts and displays in relation to accident prevention, emergency reporting, first-aid, injuries, etc.
- Monitors operational matters regarding safety programs, including occupational safety and health, emergency preparedness, and other safety programs affecting conditions and well-being of SMBMI employees and the general public. Reviews industry publications and monitors pending legislation and regulations to determine impact of new developments on San Manuel’s safety and health compliance programs. Studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency of the Safety Department.
- Performs incident response and accident, injury, near miss investigations. Collection, entry and dissemination of data related to incident response, audits/inspections accident/injury and near miss investigations.
- Attends monthly departmental safety committee meetings, provides additional safety & health resources as requested by departments or enterprises and collects and tracks monthly minutes for compliance. Moderates quarterly safety committee meetings (to include all enterprises and departments). Investigates and assist departments, when appropriate, with implementation of safety committee recommendations.
- Audit site activities and advise on actions necessary to comply with OSHA, regulatory agencies, and company guidelines. Informs Safety Engineer of audit and inspection results, findings, recommendations, actions and monitoring of safety matters and coordinates or assists with implementing program changes resulting from investigative findings.
- Identify, evaluate, prevent, and control health and safety hazards. Collects, reviews, investigates, and works with responsible department(s) in resolving Hazardous Condition Reports, as well as all other health and safety hazards. Conducts safety oversight and intervenes, under the direction of the Safety Engineer, in conditions which pose an immediate threat to employees, patrons, equipment or buildings.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
- Associate’s degree in Environmental Science, Risk Management or closely related field required.
- A minimum of one (1) year, directly related experience in the field of environmental, health and safety.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of educational requirement.
- Must possess intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and internet research methodology.
- Able to clearly present information through the written reports and presentations.
- Possess excellent and visible organizational skills and demonstrate the ability to work on multiple projects in an effective manner and under deadline pressure.
- Demonstrated maturity and poise; ability to employ perfect discretion in sensitive situations.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record; employee may occasionally be required to drive their personal vehicle.
- OSHA 30 hr certificate required or must have the ability to obtain certificate within one year
- OSHA, ASP, CSP, ARM, SQF, or equivalent professional designation preferred and/or must have the ability to obtain relevant professional designation within one year
- Must obtain and maintain current Food Handler’s card, ServSafe certificate and negative TB test.