Website San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
Under the direction of the VP Associate General Counsel, the Staff Attorney provides legal advice to the Tribal government, Tribal government operations and the Tribal government’s business enterprises. This position assists in counseling all levels of leadership in diverse issues related to transactions and contracting for the Tribal government, Tribal government operations and the Tribal government’s business enterprises. The Staff Attorney provides recommendations to minimize legal and financial exposure. This position also assures best practices to address emerging legal and business issues related to the Tribal government, Tribal government operations and the Tribal government’s business enterprises.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Assists in counseling all levels of leadership and team members in diverse issues related to Tribal government and enterprise operations, including negotiating and drafting agreements, providing advice on business law and transactional matters, assessing risk management issues, and advising on regulatory compliance matters. Provides recommendations to leadership to minimize legal/financial exposure and assuring best practices and timely updates to address emerging legal and business issues. Provides legal support to procurement, information technology, environmental, education, cultural resources, grants and other San Manuel enterprise departments. Assists with contractual relations with outside vendors in a wide variety of services.
2. Provides support for complex commercial transactions and relationships including real estate transactions, start-up enterprises, joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions. Assists in due diligence in various transactions and in thinking through strategic and tactical decisions with various departments and divisions.
3. Assists in advising the leadership of the Tribal government, Tribal government operations and the Tribal government’s business enterprises on governance and compliance issues as relates to investment funds, arrangements with financial institutions and related policies.
4. Prepares legal documents related to legal entities including resolutions, by-laws, meeting minutes, and other enterprise documents.
5. Assists in participating in state and national attorney work groups on matters related to federal Indian law issues, including transactional and contractual matters.
6. Assists in advising on intellectual property and information technology matters.
7. Addresses Tribal, Federal, and State regulatory agency requirements.
8. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
- Juris Doctorate from an American Bar Association accredited law school is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of legal work experience is required.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Experience conducting commercial or other contract review is preferred.
- Experience working with tribal government is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated ability exercising utmost discretion with confidential information.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.
- As a condition of employment with the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Legal department, incumbents are required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment and annual post-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, Live-Scan fingerprinting, drug screening and criminal history background check.
- Must be a member of the California Bar in good standing.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
To apply for this job please visit www.sanmanuelcareers.com.