1. CONFERENCE: MORE ROOMS ADDED TO THE NAFOA HOTEL ROOM BLOCK
Don’t miss out on the discounted room rate at the Foxwoods Resort Casino. The NAFOA room block is in the Fox Tower. Please note that Saturday night is currently sold out. You can reserve a room for that night in the Grand Pequot Tower or Great Cedar, but the group rate isn’t available at those hotels.
2. FOR YOUNG PROFESSIONALS: SELF-DETERMINED PATHWAYS TO ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT WITH NATIVE WOMEN LEAD
Join NAFOA and Native Women Lead on Thursday, September 8 at 3:00pm Eastern Time for a webinar on economic empowerment. During this webinar, our featured speaker will share emergent needs and changes in the fields of entrepreneurship, finance, investment, and economic development as it relates to Indigenous entrepreneurs and economies.
We will also discuss potential pathways for young finance professionals such as asset/fund managers, economic development in tribes, consultants, CFOs/CPAs, etc.
3. POLICY: FIRST ALASKA NATIVE ELECTED TO CONGRESS
Last week, Mary Peltola (Yup’ik) became the first Alaska Native woman to be elected to the House of Representatives when she won a special election to fill the seat of late Congressman Don Young (R-AK). The unofficial results released by the Alaska Division of Elections show the newly elected Peltola defeating former Alaskan Governor and Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin for control of the seat for the remainder of 2022.
4. WEBINAR: NAVIGATE NEW LEASE ACCOUNTING GUIDANCE: ASC LEASE ACCOUNTING UPDATE
September 7, 2022 10:00 AM PT
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) released new lease accounting guidance, which impacts the construction industry in ways that might not be expected.
Join Moss Adams for a webcast, ASC Lease Accounting Update, featuring key considerations in lease accounting such as:
- Updates to FASB’s lease accounting guidance
- Effective dates of ASC 842
- Approaches to implement adoption of new guidance
- Evaluation of conditions to consider for construction companies adopting the leasing standard
5. JOBS: THE POKAGON BAND OF POTAWATOMI IS SEEKING CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
Accomplish the Pokagon Band Department of Finance objectives by planning, organizing, and directing all work required to operate and maintain departmental and other Tribal enterprise activities and services. Ensure financial and accounting policies, functions, resources, and programs are maintained in accordance with established laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Government Accounting Standards.
Get NAFOA’s 5 Things You Need to Know This Week in your inbox at the start of each week. Subscribe here.